We have been contacted by the University of Illinois School of Music. Their band and choir, one of the finest in the country, will be traveling through Pittsburgh on April 13, 2018 en route to a performance at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
Based on the reputation of our music program across the country, their first choice for a collaboration is here at North Hills. This partnership would include their faculty working with our students during the afternoon. Their ensembles would then present a free concert that evening, which may also include performances by our North Hills student musicians.
To make this event possible, we are seeking home stay placements for their 100 student musicians while here in Pittsburgh.
How does a Home Stay Placement work?
- University of Illinois Music students would be picked up at North Hills Middle School by their host family following the concert on Friday, April 13, 2018 (about 9 PM). We invite all of our host families to the concert!
- University of Illinois students would be housed with the family overnight
- Host families would provide a light breakfast (e.g. fruit/cereal/granola bars/muffins) and then return the University of Illinois students to North Hills Middle on the morning of Saturday, April 14, 2018 by 7:30 AM. The students are with their hosts for less than 12 hours.
- Hosting 2 students works well for helping the students to feel comfortable in a new place. Couches, air mattresses, or spare beds are all fine accommodations.
- Since these are college-age student musicians, no additional paperwork is necessary other than completing the link below.
To commit to hosting the University of Illinois, we need to show that we can accommodate their 100 students for the evening. Click the survey link below if you are able to assist as a host home. If you cannot house students yourself, please share this information with grandparents, friends, and neighbors whose children have moved out and now have empty bedrooms. They make wonderful hosts for these young aspiring musicians.
We will decide on Monday, November 6th if we have enough volunteers to welcome the University of Illinois School of Music here to North Hills.
Thank you for your consideration.
The HS Music Staff