The following information was distributed and discussed in class today. PDF versions are available at the bottom of this message as well as under the Forms section.
There has been some confusion regarding details for the upcoming Disney trip. This will hopefully clear up any issues:
1. The Polos. We have ordered red polos that will be embroidered with the NH Choir logo in black and white on them. These polos are considered uniforms and are being purchased through the choir budget. They must be returned after the trip. If you would like to keep it, you must pay $20 to cover the cost.
2. Khakis. For our performance at Epcot on Friday, April 25, we will be wearing the red polos with khaki pants. You must provide these. For the girls, the sooner you buy them, the better, as shorts are starting to be sold in most stores. They don’t have to be expensive, just actual pants. Disney is very strict about having uniform performing groups and since our trip choir is made of students from 3 different groups, the polo/khaki combo was the best option for us (there’s no way we were wearing robes!).
3. T-shirts. The same clipboard went around classes asking for T-shirt sizes. If you put a size, then it is assumed that you are buying a shirt. They are $10 each, and money can be turned in ASAP to the appropriately labeled drawer in the unit. You must pay before you receive the shirt – and the plan is to wear them to school on Tuesday, April 22nd. The band has a shirt that is the same color as well, so there should be close to 250 of us in the school all wearing blue Disney shirts.
4. Medical forms. NHSD has created a new medical/emergency contact form that we must have completed for all overnight trips. It includes medication that may not be on your school emergency card since you may only take it at night or after-school hours. These completed forms will be due to us on the night of the final trip meeting, April 15th.
5. Buses. We’ll have 2 buses for the trip – a large and a smaller one, both Anderson coach buses. Sign-ups for the buses will happen in the next 2 weeks. The choral parents will provide bottled water on each bus. If you would like to bring snacks for the drive, you may do so. Just make sure to clean up after yourself. We will be on these buses for a very long time together!
6. Rehearsals: There will be 3 after-school “Disney Choir” rehearsals, where only those going on the trip will attend so that we can establish balance and make sure our performance is as polished as it can be. They are 2:00-3:00 on Monday, April 14 and Thursday, April 16 and 2:00-3:30 on Monday, April 21.
7. Final Trip Meeting for Families. We will have our final check-in meeting to go over the itinerary, collect medical forms, introduce chaperones, talk about medication turn-in, luggage drop-off, and any other details. This meeting takes place at 7:00pm on Tuesday, April 15 in the high school auditorium.
8. Medication/Luggage Drop-off. The high school auditorium will be open from 6:00-8:00pm on Monday, April 21 to drop off luggage, medication, uniforms, etc. We are leaving only an hour after dismissal on Tuesday, so there really isn’t time to ride the bus home and come back before departure.
9. Band/Choir Crossover Students. Any student who is in the marching band that also sings in the choir is able to be a part of both our workshop and performance. We planned the trip together and coordinated times that work for both groups as well as transportation when needed. The choir workshop takes place on Wednesday night while the band is just in their hotel rooms, and the band will watch the choir performance on Friday, so anyone in both can easily do all parts for each group. Even though on paper we’re doing separate trips with money and hotels, it’s the same trip!
North Hills High School Recognized As One of Best Schools for Music Education
North Hills School District is one of only seven districts in Allegheny County to receive one of the two prestigious designations awarded this year. Schools in 471 districts across the country also have been recognized.
The SupportMusic Merit Award is awarded to individual schools that demonstrate outstanding achievement in efforts to provide music access and education to all students.
“It is an honor to be one of the 472 districts and schools nationwide to be selected, and this recognition is a testament to the incredible educators and talented students who instruct and learn in North Hills High School’s valued music education program,” said Dr. Patrick J. Mannarino, North Hills School District’s superintendent.
At North Hills School District, approximately two out of every three students has taken part in a music class or related activity during the 2013-14 school year. A total of 14 different classes are taught at North Hills High School, and the district offers 45 different music courses to elementary and secondary students.
A Columbia University study found that children who play music do better in school, are more cooperative with teachers and peers, more self-confident and better able to express ideas. According to a recent Gallup Pool, 94 percent of Americans consider music to be part of a well-rounded education.
Established in 1999, the Best Communities for Music Education from the National Association of Music Merchants Foundation honors school districts and school buildings that have demonstrated exceptional efforts toward maintaining music education programs as part of the schools’ core curriculum and exemplify commitment and support for music education.
To be considered for the designation, district educators are required to answer detailed questions about funding, graduation requirements, music class participation, instruction time, facilities, support for the music program and community music-making programs. Responses are verified with school officials and reviewed by The Institute for Educational Research and Public Service of Lawrence, Kansas, an affiliate of the University of Kansas.
This site provides information and updates for students, parents, and friends of the choral ensembles and musical theater productions in the North Hills School District.
North Hills Choirs -- North Hills High School -- 53 Rochester Road -- Pittsburgh, PA 15229 -- 412.318.1400 x3047